WELCOME

Hello all, it's either a welcome to those of you who have stumbled onto this blog (run, flee now while you still have the chance) or a welcome back to those who know what has gone before.

For those not 'in the know', almost one year ago I accomplished nigh-on a two year challenge of both lifestyle and edurance (and spelling....eNdurance!), culminating in the completion of the London Marathon 2013 (see fatmantofitman).

Even I have to say it was an amazing achievement - if a little barking - but I now have another idea which makes running a marathon seem like such a sane idea! The same principles of healthy eating and exercise apply, but you know me; I can't just leave it there can I? There has to be 'something'; and that something is an Olympic-distance triathlon. Now you may think that for a fit man this won't be a problem. I have already proved I can run long distance, I can swim; and of course everyone can ride a bi........oh.... ......wait..........no I can't!

So join me on another journey of weight loss, struggle (no doubt), pain (I fear), frustration, a 40 year old learning to do something which most can do before they reach double figures; and hopefully glory! As always, I promise to give it my all, and I promise that whatever else you get, you will get honesty; warts, tears, knee scrapes, crashes and all!

Share in the madness.

Wednesday 12 March 2014

Weigh In (1)

Towards the beginning of this adventure you and I are embarking on (oh yes; there’s a you and me now, too late to avoid it!) there will be a few bits and bobs to establish; the first of which will be what is known as 'the official weigh in'.

A big part of what I am trying to do is to lose weight; whether directly or indirectly. I want to exercise more (which should result in me losing weight, which will make exercising easier), I want to eat better (which should result in me losing weight); I want more energy and to feel better (which should come from losing weight, are you seeing a pattern emerging here?), I want to be healthier with no joint pains, staving off medical problems associated with being fat (losing weight making a big difference), and of course I want to complete an Olympic-distance triathlon (losing weight therefore and absolute must!....and no, not just because I will have to wear a figure-hugging wetsuit that leaves NOTHING to the imagination.....okay partly because of that!!).
Nerve-wracking it may be, but regular and regimented weighing in is an absolute must. A few pounds off will motivate me to push on and lose more weight, whereas a few pounds on will make me reflect on what I've done in the last week and pinpoint exactly where I have gone wrong. (Both of these you will also get a special insight on through the miracle known as the written word; lucky you!!). If I get on the scales either nilly or indeed willy, I will(y) never know what works, and what doesn't.
So, as of now (or actually as of yesterday); Tuesday night will be weigh-in night. Put it in your diaries now. In fact if you're trying to lose weight too, let's strike a collective fear in scales everywhere; join me in a worldwide weigh in!

At my thinnest in recent-ish memory I have been at about 15 stone 8 pounds. Still a big fella but in my defence I managed to run a pain-free marathon at that weight so it can't be that bad. I knew I had put on weight - quite a bit - before I got on the scales last night, so a weight of 17 stone 6 pounds came as nothing of a surprise (1 stone 12 pounds on; yikes with a double scoop of aye caramba!!). Considering the distinct lack of exercise coupled with the distinctly large number of pizza boxes in my recycle bin, I think - if you will pardon the pun - I got away lightly. I can't say I'm ecstatic about it all, but every journey has a beginning (unless you're George Lucas, in which case every journey has a middle, then a beginning, then an end!!) and this particular journey will hopefully be a positive one. The only tricky bit is that for this journey to begin, I need to know where I am; and where I am is 17 stone 6. Hopefully the heaviest I will be!

Target weight? Good question. Not sure yet, but I'll let you know!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment